Saturday, January 07, 2006

X-Rated Searle


As a Ronald Searle/Ralph Steadman fan I often trawl the second-hand bookshops of Charing X Road looking for old or out of print editions. I recently found 'Ronald Searle's Secret Sketchbook'. It's a small volume of very rough & loose pen drawings that Searle made in the red light district of Hamburg. An American magazine sent him there on assignment to document the colourful 'night-life' & the results are rapidly executed sketches of strippers, prostitutes, johns & punters. The book's jacket says 'this sketchbookis an observer's notebook, not a participator's, and was never intended originally to be seen in print'.

7 comments:

Boris Hiestand said...

dammit that's great! You should start your own bookshop with re prints of all your great discoveries! Keep diggin up good stuff!

edhead said...

Great stuff! I finally got to see the BBC 3 Searle show over Xmas and it was awesome, so much so I'm hunting for the Paris Sketchbook - which shops down Charing X do you haunt? Did they have any more of his books?! Happy New Year man! e

Matt Jones said...

I found the Secret Sketchbook in the 'design' branch of ZWEMMERS - there are a couple more Searle's there in the back . . .



(The word verification here is SMENITA!)

edhead said...

hoo hoo!! Excellent, cheers matt, a trip there is required ASAP. Now how about those life drawing classes?

Matt Jones said...

Fancy Monday evening? CANDID arts centre, behind Angel tube. 7pm

Will Kane says ROCKETO 4 coming soon

edhead said...

Excellent - lets do it. I'll see you there. re: Rocketo - About bloody time too! Cheers for the tip! If I see it I'll grab you one...

Leo Matsuda said...

I am a huge fan of Searle's drawings! Post more Matt!