Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Baker St.

I recently finished working at a studio in Baker St. It's an interesting part of London & at lunch times I would go on the trail of Sherlock Holmes. There's a statue of the famous fictional detective outside Baker St. tube station. 221 b Baker St. is the address that Arthur Conan Doyle gave Holmes in the books. On this site now stands the Sherlock Holmes Museum.



The museum has been made to look like Holmes & Watson actually lived there. Holmes' study is full of items that fans will recognize from the stories, including Holmes' crack pipe!



Last year one of the Eurovision Art Challenge themes was 'Elementary dear Watson'. Here's the development sketches of my image.






Not far from Baker St. is the Wallace Collection. They have Fragonard's 'Swing' & Frans Hal's 'Laughing Cavalier'. I spent a lunch-break drawing the armour collection. The Persian & Indian armour, helmets & weapons are really cool.


11 comments:

Mark said...

Big admirer Matt, was turned onto your work by Boris...Hope to meet you one day. Very inspiring :)

All The Best

Mark

Oscar Grillo said...

Wonderful work, Mateo. The big dog in the middle, the one in watercolours or magic markers, is a winner!

virginiavalle.blogspot.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
limbolo said...

Cool?
...You're booked Jonezboy.

Matthew Cruickshank said...

You are the best for picking out a good helmet. Were you allowed to polish them?

Educational up-date , and lovely drawings to boot!

Richard Mitchelson said...

thanks matt, the new thing you learn every day, today, was learned on your site...

Nice to see wax figures, always make me smile how much they don't look in any way real...

Great work.

Unknown said...

I can't stop laughing at Crookie's comment!
Jolis dessins!

Matt Jones said...

But it's not funny? I think he's mis-translated it to you perhaps . . .?

Martin Wittig said...

Matt--- Man, You have some amazing work here my friend!! AND, YOU WORKED ON CORPSE BRIDE!!! I love that movie! Those storyboard samples below are SO nice! I'm definitely comming back for more. Oh, and thank you for the nice words on my blog:)

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Those pictures in the museum look very similar to your lunch photo the other week.

I know I'm not funny, and I am a genuine fan of your artwork Matt.

Unknown said...

SSSSWWWWwwwweeet!!